Thursday, September 08, 2005

Beauty begins at 30

I turned 33 last weekend and, I must say, I feel fantastic -- physically, mentally and even spiritually.

And my feelings are backed by a recent survey of 1356 women which found that 50% believed a woman was most beautiful in her 30s, not her 20s.

Only 28% picked their 20's.

There are probably many reasons for this, besides the popularity of glamourous tv shows such as Desperate Housewives, starring the rather gorgeous Eva Longoria.

Factors such as the progress of the beauty & fashion industries mean that we are no longer "dried up" at 30, & instead we are living longer, having less children, getting married older, doing a lot more -- keeping more active, staying healthier & just generally enjoying life on a much bigger scale.

Of course, I wasn't around when my mum was 30 -- actually, I think I may have been a twinkle in her eye at that point -- but the freedom & liberation from many of the traditional constraints and expectations that used to be put on women in her day quite simply give us more life, and more chances to enjoy life, these days.

The ridiculousness and frivolity of some of the 20-something stars who grab the limelight whenever the can (think Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohen, Tara Reid, et al) also adds weight to the fact that there is beauty in maturity, not in the excesses of one's 20's.

Yay being 30! I'm loving it.

No comments: