Friday, July 01, 2005

Think Free -- the World's First Online Office App

Earlier this week, ThinkFree announced the launch of the world's first online office suite, ThinkFree Office Online, a free web service giving you access to the tools needed to create, edit and publish MS Office documents. Yes, again -- free!

The distributed client-server/thin client argument has been building steam for a while (CNet's simpleton editor, Molly Wood, wrote a typically unresearched piece a while back that generated an interesting debate), and ThinkFree is one of the first actual products supporting this futurist theory that I've seen.

Great idea, in part. Never need to purchase another expensive piece of doc-creation software: wonderful! Leave my personal (or biz) documents on someone else's server: no way, hosé! What if I can't get connected? At the very least, there's one concern. But there are so many more to consider when talking about using the web as an app provider, let alone a storage mechanism.

But it's late, I'm tired, started this too long ago & have lost my momentum. I wonder if ThinkFree Office Online could help me here? ;-)

No comments: