Sunday, May 29, 2005

The Schapelle Verdict

I haven't posted for a while, so I'm rather stunned to see my stats have been soaring. Hello, everyone! So -- what do you think of the verdict?

I must admit I'm surprised that the sentence wasn't higher. Throughout the trial I'd been hopeful she would be freed, even, at some points, pretty certain that would happen, but these feelings came from me seeing the case with my eyes, from my perspective as an Australian, and as a supporter of justice. Unfortunately, as we all know now, the all-important eyes that were presiding in this case were not Australian, and they rate justice on an entirely different scale.

It seemed crystal clear from the witness testimonies and evidence presented by the defence team that there was (a.) a definite possibility of interference from a third party with Schapelle's luggage, (b.) nothing in Schapelle's past or present life to link her with any sort of drug smuggling activity, (c.) massive, glaring holes in the prosecution's case, and (d.) absolutely nothing to corroborate the Indonesian customs guy's story. Amongst other things.

Yet -- the judges threw out every single bit of evidence. Every bit! And they disregarded every single bit of testimony. They believed customs officer Winata's word against Corby's because he was the authority, they said.

Ooooo-ooo, I shook and cried with Schapelle (and most of the rest of the nation) as Chief Judge
Sirait worked himself into a frenzy delivering the three judges' unanimous decision. How could they? Do these people have no heart?

But in Bali there are many who think she is guilty. The Ganja Queen, they call her.

Oh poor, poor Schapelle.

No comments: