Saturday, March 12, 2005

RIP: Mozilla Suite

The Mozilla Application Suite has come to rest, with version 1.7.x being the last full series the Mozilla Foundation will release. (This is Mozilla, the standalone client that houses an integrated set of web tools including a browser, email client, html editor and more, as opposed to Mozilla Firefox or Mozilla Thunderbird, its newer children.)

I am definitely not alone in finding this news rather sad, however logical it may be for the MoFo to want to focus their energies and hone their focus on their most successful products to date: FF and TB. And, truth out, I've actually not used Mozilla (the product) in almost two years now... from memory, 1.4 was the last version I downloaded, although by then I was only using the Mail portion. Phoenix (now Firefox) was already way better.

However, times do change, and one thing the Mozilla Foundation is doing so well here is acknowledging that, and adjusting accordingly. Mozilla (the app) will quite probably live on, with individual developers who are keen to continue working on it currently proposing their plans for such, with MoFo's agreement (but not their branding). Personally, however, I'm not sure why they're bothering. I used to like the idea of an all-in-one product for my web needs. But this all-in-one was more than that, huge and bloated, with other embedded tools that I never used and simply did not need. Firefox, on the contrary, is small, light and super-fast... 'nuff said.

No comments: