Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The Stepford Web

I sent a good friend a couple of books recently, from Amazon -- some short stories and Cocaine Nights by J.G. Ballard. One of my absolute favourite reads. He's known more as a sci-fi author, a genre I'm not particularly into, however this book is just sensational (which is not to pass any judgement on any others). Keen to hear what my friend thinks; she's a reader too.

We also saw The Stepford Wives recently, which I'd been thinking would be like Cocaine Nights. (It wasn't. I'd expected it to be kinda surreal, more subtle in its execution of the weird goings-on of the town than the movie ended up being. Had some excellent lines, and top-notch actors, just went awry on something, somewhere, and wasn't quite as good as I'd expected.) However, in hunting down the link just now, I'm loving the website -- check out the Stepford IQ Quiz in the Online Extras section. (Would link to it, except the site's been authored in Flash -- and that is one of Flash's main problems as I see it, lack of ability to externally point to specific parts of the application. Unless I'm missing something.) Nevertheless, great stuff, and the quiz pinpointed me to a T: "Stability and equality are your top priorities. Finding a man who is comfortable letting you wear the pants in the family will make you much happier than the thrills of coupon cutting!"

Although perhaps, given the fact that I am currently single, there was only the one answer for us staunchly independently but fruitlessly hopeful, die-hard romantics. Damn.

Incidentally, and quite strangely, on the Stepford IQ Quiz I scored 16. Love to know what that means... 16 men perhaps? (Bring it on! Heh.) The site also houses a Domestic Bliss Guide, with Fitness Tips, Beauty Secrets and Recipes, all served with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Birthday Cake for One
with white mountain frosting.
Love it. And he'll love you for it. Which is more important, of course.

No comments: