Friday, August 27, 2004

Blogger vs. Wordpress

It's been a few days since the last post... has her enthusiasm died off already?!

No, despite the ongoing abandonment of blogs, I'm still here! Never one to do something by halves, I was ultra-enthused after the first couple of days, and thought obviously the next step is to move this to my own site.

But if I'm to go live at Miinx, do I want to continue using Blogger? Now would be the time to change, if not.

With Blogger, I (a blogging newbie) am so far loving:
  • the compatibility with Firefox
  • the keyboard integration in the Edit HTML mode
  • the simple and clear user interface
  • BlogThis! is awesome. I had planned to say here that I didn't like that Blogger lacked the ability to blog something instantly via a toolbar button (without installing the Googlebar for Firefox, which I didn't want to do) -- however, in researching this I discovered that the BlogThis! button can be just dragged onto the toolbar in any browser. (Except IE, of course, as it's a dangerously antiquated piece of crap. Do yourself a favour and Browse happy.)
However, there are also some features I am not loving:
  • no access to database/server-side stuff
  • no categories!
  • poor/few community features
  • in Compose mode, some keyboard keys don't work - such as lowercase e, for instance, although capital E works just fine. (or is that just me??!) Haven't yet emailed customer support, easier just to blog it, really. ;)
  • few good, pre-made templates
  • the fact that after Saving or Republishing to see site changes, Blogger always returns you to a default page under Posting. This is particularly annoying if, say, you're modifying Settings and click to Save the changes, as it plonks you out of Settings and back into Posting, so you then need to do a further 2 clicks to get you back to your spot.
  • no hacks :(
So -- possible discontent means further research is required, and after a bit of that, I'm leaning towards WordPress. So much so, in fact, that I've set one up somewhere and am playing with that there.

WordPress from the outset seems to do more of what I want, although I'm not as impressed with the admin interface. (Georgia is the default font, which I really don't understand. Maybe they're going for the newsprint look? Bleugh. It's the Admin Panel, give me cleanliness, please.)

Apart from that I haven't really got into WordPress enough to be fully able to compare these two products yet, but I'd be very interested to know what others think. I'm a coder, so love to tinker... and it seems, in that sense, that Blogger falls short.

Or am I missing something?

No comments: